Friday, April 3, 2015

You are what you eat

Today my cousin came to me and handed me a box. I asked what it was, and he told "prasad". I expected one of my favorite dices, rice pudding, to be inside it. But to my dismay I found mutton in it. AHH

I am a vegetarian, and the only thing I regret about being a vegetarian now is not being one earlier. There is only one reason for me being a vegetarian and the reason is simple, love. I adore animals and no animal is ever going to die for my taste buds. I didn't know my love for animals came with so many benefits.

You are what we eat they say, and I don’t want to make myself corpse of an animal. I have nothing against people who like to eat meat, once upon a time I used to be one of them. One thing that really bugs me is killing animals in the name of everything possible and telling vegetarians that they are missing something great in life.

Let’s move back to the “Prasad” part. I am someone who has done enough research about religion. And literally non of the religious scripture says “go kill animals and god will fulfill your wish”. People just need reasons to satisfy their taste buds, I guess. Killing animal and eating it is definitely better than making absurd reasons for taking away their lives and then eating them.

“You are missing something great in life” , “where do you get proteins form?” , “you are not preserving echo-system?” and the most funny one “ how do you celebrate dasahin” are the questions I often have to hear. I wish I could tell people that they were missing love and compassion and plants proteins are way healthier.  The echo-system part is actually very funny. I wonder if any non-vegetarians thinks “oh I am saving the planet and the echo-system” when he sees a plate of chicken momo in front of him.

www.atmavarta.com

I don’t expect people to just stop fulfilling the desires of their taste buds and stop eating animals! No, but what they can at least do is stop giving other reasons for killing animals when their sole purpose is satisfying their taste buds. Last but not the least not making fun of vegetarian’s choices just because their taste buds don’t want flesh. 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely written with good sense of humor! Being vegetarian is a choice but respecting vegetarians is a must.

    ReplyDelete