Wednesday, August 7, 2013

MY encounter with Nepali education system

Nepali education system is a synonym for rote learning. I do not feel like I am studying engineering instead I feel like I am studying course which is all about mugging up. Seriously, do the people who make our syllabus know anything called creativity, understanding and  intelligence. I wonder why we need to mug up those stupid formulas and definitions, I mean we can just Google them. What we cannot Google is understating, creativity and new ideas. Should not understanding something be given more priority then mugging up? BUT no! what they want is a copy of  things that already exist. They do not want us to apply it, nor do they want us to use our minds and make something new out of it. Today's Physics practical was the lamest thing I have ever seen. I bet they do not understand meaning of practicals! Back in a levels we had to do as many practicals because we could get anything at practicals exams! And now, a practical out of 8 practicals is sure to come. That clearly means students are not taught to do anything except the 8 things. Is that what we study for, to be able to do only the things that have been done? Plus we had to write all theory, formulas required to do the practical. Is practical for proving a formula or to test if you remember a formula? Back in high school we were given formulas still the problems were challenging enough. Test on understanding, creativity if you can! any one can take a mugging up test! On top of all I do not understand why computer engineers need physics when one already needs to have physics as his/her major at high school to apply for it! Are not economics or business techniques more important?  Well, I will not suggest any a levels students to join engineering or more importantly courses offered by Nepali universities. Those universities may be great for +2 students (as they are used to the system) but not for a levels. Once you start the course you will feel like you are travelling back in time. I mean back to SLC where you had to remember things more than understanding them. I wish i had tried to go abroad or joined somewhere where they would give more focus on understanding.  I hope i will be able to get along with thing which is called engineering but is  actually   rote learning process. 

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you. Sometimes I wonder why I even chose this field.

    ReplyDelete